An Arts-based Mixed-use Development Collaboration with WHEDco and Blue Sea Development Corporation
WHEDco and Blue Sea Development Company are collaborating on a 426,000 square foot mixed-use development which includes affordable housing; the Bronx Music Heritage Center, a community performance and event space; retail space; and green recreational space. It will serve as a cultural destination and site for music and dance performances, community events, and production and multimedia activities.
- Celebrate the rich musical heritage of the Bronx by drawing upon and restoring pride in its history
- Meet the need for affordable housing options in the Bronx, including live/work space for elder artists
- Bring housing together with the arts, open green space, health and fitness, and urban farming
- Utilize the arts as a means of catalyzing the renewal of a neighborhood rich in history and culture
Developers/Owners: WHEDco and Blue Sea Development Company
Design Architects: Danois Architects, PC
- Sustainable design features
- 305 affordable rental apartments for low income artists, families and individuals, including live/work spaces for elder artists
- The Bronx Music Heritage Center, including community archives, a performance venue, and ongoing exhibits that celebrate the vibrant and varied cultural legacy of the Bronx
- Community programming
- Retail space
- Green roof
- Solar panels
The development will be located in the Melrose Commons neighborhood of the South Bronx, on the west side of Elton Avenue, between East 162nd and East 163rd Street.